Why are paper rolls increasing in price so sharply ?
Pulp prices are still rising and now exceed 40% in 2017.
MAY 2017 – IDEM, the mill producing most of Europe’s carbonless paper goes into liquidation.
With IDEM no longer there, the mills producing thermal paper switch around 25% of their capacity over to carbonless causing shortages of thermal
JUNE 2017 – All thermal mills announce an allocation based system for paper roll converters cutting the supply chain dramatically.....
AUGUST 2017 – Prices inevitably go up by Koehler, Lecta, Mitsubishi, Jujo etc...etc...
SEPTEMBER 2017 – The Chinese factory that produces 70% of the worlds “leuco” dye (the component that gives the thermal image it’s black image) is shut down for a minimum of 3 three months due to toxicity, reports of over 70,000 companies having to close temporarily to improve their standards.
OCTOBER 2017 – Thermal mills announce yet more shortages and price increases for January 2018 as the prospect of no dye being produced bites hard with some mills down to less than a month’s stock.
OCTOBER 2017 – Apvion Paper, the largest producer of thermal paper in the USA files for “Chapter 11” – protected bankruptcy....this causes huge panic in the USA as converters fear the worst and struggle to get allocation from Apvion along with uncertainty as to its future.
NOVEMBER 2017 – European thermal mills are inundated with requests from converters in the USA to fulfill the shortfall from Apvion, and can virtually name their price.....once again diverting much need stock in Europe away from converters here.
DECEMBER 2017 – Mills still very uncertain as to when the leuco dye situation will be resolved with many now struggling to book stock for 2018 production causing more turmoil and prospect of further allocation cuts in 2018 along with more rises expected, possibly on a monthly basis until this is resolved.
- April 2018 - Mills have confirmed another increase of between 12 to 15% increase on April 1st
Please click links below to see the increases from our paper manufacturers.
How can I contact you?
Postal Address Units 2 / 4 , St Anthonys Business Park Turnpike RoadBallymount Dublin D22 NH90Ireland Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Ph: +353 (0)1 4433964 Mobile: 087 9733425 UK Local PH: +44 (0)20 8144 4475
Am I VAT Exempt ?
All VAT numbers will be checked & validated by the website so that you can shop VAT Free.
How much do you charge for delivery?
Nothing! All paper roll orders are Delivered Free of Charge*
*Special items in the store may be charged delivery.
Why should I buy from Discount Till Rolls?
Discount Till Rolls Ltd is a 100% Irish owned company! Supporting Jobs in both Ireland & the UK.
Discount Till Rolls has a Unique Pricing Strategy. Discount Till Rolls is a dynamic and progressive wholesaler of grade one Paper Rolls and Products servicing the retail and ticketing industries Ireland/UK wide. Unlike traditional POS/Till Roll dealers and most other sites on the Internet our pricing model is Not based on a % markup. We take each product on an individual basis and price it according to competition. In almost every case, this allows us to aggressively price our products below our competition. In some cases, we make them look downright silly.
Our volume allows us to have special pricing with our vendors that is then passed on to you through our lower prices on our sites. Yes, you really will save money by buying from our site and you never pay for shipping.
Can I open an credit account ?
Do you offer Bigger Discounts?
YES! For large quantities we offer Bigger Discounts, supplying pallets and mixed pallet deliveries.
Do you supply Credit Card Rolls for my machine ?
How long does it take to deliver ?
FREE Next Day Delivery on all till roll orders to Ireland & UK.
Next Day Delivery on paper rolls ordered before 2pm. UK Orders ordered before 1pm delivered next day Mon to Friday. Shop our sites knowing that "The Price You See Is The Price You Pay" We never play any tricks with shipping. Tricks like lowering the price and then hiding fees in the shipping charges. We eliminate any and all fees, exposing some other sites that try to play games with their pricing. With Discount Till Rolls, What You See Is What You Pay.
No long waiting time with us. In most cases we ship your order the same business day you place it.
Payment Questions ?
We accept a number of payment types below.
Accounts: Direct Debit.
Credit / Debit Cards can be use Securely on our store.
Paypal who accept all major credit card. You do Not need to have a Paypal account to pay by credit card.
Credit/ Debit Card payment can to be made by Phone Ire: 01 443396. UK Local: +44 (0)20 8144 4475
Payment can also be made by cheque or EFT bank transfer.
All cards payments will be debited the same day as you place your order.
Is my credit card information secure with you?
Your account data is probably safer in a secure online shopping environment like Paypal than it is with any local, town merchant. No one, as far as we know, has ever intercepted an encrypted credit transaction or penetrated a secure server and deciphered an account number.
Will discount till rolls paper damage my printers like cheaper paper can ?
Worried about chemicals used on thermal paper ?
Correct Storage of Thermal Paper
- For long-term storage, store thermal paper in the dark at an average ambient temperature of less than 25°C and a relative humidity of less than 65%.
- Thermal paper begins to develop colour at between 60°C to 100°C and reaches applicable density at between 70°C to 120°C. The paper, however, displays similar signs of development under high temperature or high humidity conditions. If the paper is used continuously at temperatures of 40°C or above for more than 24 hours, attention should be paid to the ambient temperature and humidity.
- 2. Avoid exposure to direct sunlight
- The paper will yellow if exposed to direct sunlight for prolonged periods. The printed image also tends to fade in direct sunlight.
- The image tends to fade when left exposed to conventional fluorescent light for prolonged periods of time. Therefore printed paper should be filed soon after printing.
- 3. Do not use solvent-type adhesives
- Adhesives containing volatile organic solvents such as alcohols, esters, ketones etc. cause color formation.
- Adhesives based on starch, PVA or CMC are harmless and hence recommended.
- 4. Avoid contact with plasticizers
- PVC film contains plasticizer such as esterphtalate and prolonged contact reduces the image forming ability of the paper and causes printed image to fade as well. When storing the paper, files and cases made of polyolefins or polyesters are recommended.
- Self-adhesive cellophane tapes might contain plasticizer which causes the printed image to fade. Tacking thermal paper with double sided self-adhesive tape, applied to the back side of thermal paper, is not recommended.
- Wax-type paper might also contain plasticizer and cause the image fading of thermal paper. Do not store these two types of paper in the same file or case.
- 5. Others
- Avoid direct contact with freshly developed diazo copying paper as it might induce colour forming on the surface of thermal paper.
- Avoid direct contact with carbon as well as carbon-less copying papers as these might reduce print ability or cause the printed image of thermal paper to fade.
- Human body fluids like sweat causes the printed image of thermal paper to fade. Please pay attention to proper paper handling.
- Thermal paper sheets must be stored with their printed surface separate from each other because the printed image might slightly be transferred from one surface to the other.
- Frictional heat induced by scratching or pressure by hard metal objects, finger nails etc. causes images to be developed. Please pay attention to proper paper handling and avoid e.g. transportation of heavy jumbo rolls by rolling them on the floor.
If I order several printer ribbons will they go bad?
Are all your till rolls made using Grade A paper?
POS - Printer Questions
What does POS stand for?
POS stands for Point of Sale. This is a wide-ranging definition that can include all display and merchandising methods used to enable transactions. Point of Sale products refers to both the hardware and software that essentially helps run a business. The POS can refer to: cash register systems, cash registers, point of sale terminals, POS receipt printers, POS pole displays, OEM printers, and all other point of sale equipment.
What is a receipt printer?
A receipt printer is necessary for all point of sale systems. There are one or two cash drawer ports on the back of your receipt printer for direct attachment. The receipt printer and cash drawer will share a single port on your PC. You have several options to choose from when choosing a pos receipt printer including thermal printers, impact printers, automatic paper cutters, parallel or serial ports, printer speed, and printer resolution.
What should I consider when choosing a printer?
There are several important features to consider when choosing a POS printer. Resolution indicates the quality of the print job where the higher the DPI (Dots Per Inch), the higher the resolution. The print speed of the point of sale printer can be important in saving time for you and your customer. There are also a variety of paper widths to choose from. Depending on how much you will be printing, the type of printer that is right for you may differ.
Why should I use an impact printer (dot matrix printer)?
Dot matrix printers are also called impact printers. Impact printers have a number of pins that strikes the ribbon and then the paper. Impact printers are useful for Point of Sale, bar codes, labels, invoices, statements, reports, and other important documents related to your business. With impact printers, you can make multiple copies (multi-part paper) to use for receipts; the image is permanent and will not fade. Impact printers are very cost effective and require an occasional ribbon change depending on the amount of printing you'll be doing.
What's the difference between a dot-matrix printer and a thermal receipt printer?
Dot matrix printers use a series of very small pins that rapidly impact against a ribbon, which causes an image to be transferred to a sheet of paper. Dot matrix printers are reliable and have the lowest operating costs although they are louder than thermal printers. Thermal printers use special heat sensitive ribbons or paper and create images onto the paper. Thermal printers print faster and are quieter than dot-matrix printers and have fewer moving components. Operating costs are higher on thermal printers because of the special ribbons or thermal paper rolls they have to use. Thermal printers cannot print on multi-part forms.
What is a direct thermal printer?
A direct thermal printer requires that special "thermally coated" paper be used for printing. The thermal head has direct contact with the thermal paper, which cause the item to be printed.
What is a thermal transfer printer?
Thermal transfer printers require thermal ribbons. The thermal ribbon is found in between the thermal print head and the thermal paper. The thermal head heats up the thermal ribbon and then transfers the image on to the paper.
What type of point of sale printer should I use to print bar codes?
Many types of POS printers can be used as bar code printers. In order to get the best resolution for your bar code, you should use a laser printer or a thermal bar code printer because of the sharp and clean lines they provide. A good quality ink jet printer, equipped with high quality coated or glossy receipt paper will also print bar codes. 24pin dot-matrix printers do a sufficient job printing larger bar codes, until their ribbons start to fade away.
What is DPI (Dots Per Inch)?
DPI refers to the quality of the printer and is directly related to the density of the print-head. An image is produced by a series of dots that appear on the label. The greater the number of dots on the label means there will be higher print quality or resolution.
If I order several printer ribbons will they go bad?
No, our printer ribbons are in sealed packaging. However, if you order several ribbons, it recommended that you store the spare ribbons in zip-lock bag until they are ready for use. The POS printer ribbons will remain fresh as long as you don't open the sealed ribbons until they are ready for use.
What's an auto cutter (automatic paper cutter)?
An auto cutter cuts off the receipt after being printed and is built into certain receipt printers to expedite transactions quickly. By entering special control codes in the POS software you can activate this feature. Auto cutters are also referred to as automatic paper cutters.
What is a cash drawer?
A cash drawer is a necessary component for any point of sale system. Cash drawers are attached to POS printers via serial or parallel ports.
What is a serial interface?
A serial interface is the type of attachment from the serial port of the printer to the serial port of a PC. Serial ports on a PC computer are male containing 9 or 25 pins.
What is a parallel interface?
A parallel interface is the type of attachment from the parallel port of the printer to the parallel port of the PC. It is always a 25pin female parallel port on a PC. Most parallel ports on printers will have a Centronics interface, but sometimes may require other interfaces.